SailNet Community - View Single Post - PHRF questions
Thread: PHRF questions
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
There is no hit, at least for me doing a sym vs AS. Both may be measured the same, at least they are up here. It all comes down to, IS your spin maxed out! if not, then you get a credit if smaller than say 3%, you get a 3 sec credit, if 6% smaller you get a 6 sec, smaller than this, you do not get credits, but the time you have to gain, may not make up for the smaller spin vs a 155 wing on wing.

Also if an AS works, is when you can sail at 120 to the wind, if the leg is literally downwind, I have had folks NFS WW beat as I tack down the course, or folks with sym go farther down wind, ie 170-175, and beat me. Depending upon the courses you do, AS are not always the best. I have been playing with pulling the tack out to 30 or so degree's max per rules with a spin pole, this has been helping get us farther down wind. ALong with some AS's are better designed and made for down wind, vs most try to work all but straight down wind, to a reach. Like my AS, I can sail upwards of 60* into the wind. It is also a 6 sec credit as it is a code 3. Not sure this sail really helps in many conditions, so a bigger code 5 is in the cards to purchase when I have the funds. I am glad I bought this AS, as it does do what I wanted, when I bought it etc. ie be about 90% of max, easy to use with spouse and I cruising, omething to learn with etc.

Marty