SailNet Community - View Single Post - PHRF questions
Thread: PHRF questions
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010
Ex Member

ste27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
When you apply for a PHRF rating do you have to choose spin or non spin fleet or can you do some races as non spin and others using it?

I'd like to do some races, especially some of the longer distance ones here on the bay and also some club races. Downwind is not a wing-keeled C36's fastest point of sail especially in light air so a long race could be torturous unless we could use our asym. For the club races, I'd expect to be short handed, probably with pick up crew and would not want to use the chute.
In my experience generally when you apply for a rating you also get provided with a series of "adjustments" right on the cert. For example, we just got re-rated to 114, and it basically laid out what would happen if we lost the asym or sym (3 sec penalty for having both), the pole (6 sec bonus for no pole) etc. 115 is an important class break for us that we were now on the wrong side of... racing a cruiser with a microwave and flatscreen tv against stripped-out bowsprit racers. So we decided to lose the symmetrics to get us to 117, found out that we didn't pole the asym back at all as it rotated to windward just find so ditched the pole as well and now we're racing at 123, all on the same cert

I've seen many other ones like that as well, but it may just be a PHRFNE thing
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook