SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Ahoy, salty dawgs!

18K views 139 replies 16 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
I am a Lady Pirate looking for adventure on the high seas and moving into my first boat on July 1st. Would love some tips for living aboard - plan to have a garden on the roof, transform the front "office" into a painting studio and have lots of BBQs and happy hours on deck.

Let me know if you have any tips for this former-land-lubber!

Also, I need to learn how to fish, if you live in Marina del Rey, let me know and we can cast off together.

#2 ·
Pirate of Pine Island

Ahoy me Lady, I be de Pirate of Pine Island wit some considerable experience living aboard and sailing. Iffin ye needs specific advise just ask. Growing things on a vessel is a part of de routine , wit de molds and such crustecheons and varmits ye be busy trying to kill whats growing as opposed to helping dem along. I be 3000 miles away on de east coast and would glagly take you up on yer offer . Please send Picture of Vessel cause I don'ts do blind dates. !! Fair Winds Pirate Of Pine Island.

#3 ·
Much oblige, matey!

Property Countertop Room Floor Cabinetry

Room Property Cabin Vehicle Floor

Room Property Furniture Bathroom Curtain

Argh! Pirate o' de Pines! Photos o' the vessel are attached, as for meself, wouldn't want my beauty to blind you, so must refrain.

Specifically, would like advice on making a nice "outdoor living room" on the top deck - thinking a weather-proof wood deck and awning, perhaps a hammock, some bench seats and built in garden boxes for fruits/veggies/herbs/flowers and such. The space is roughly 25' by 13'. Any ideas?

Cheers!

#4 ·
Just out of curiousity

Are you talking about a boat, or a house that floats? If it's to remain at the dock, then there is much more that is possible. If you plan to go anywhere in it, then that needs to be taken into account. I'm assuming, from your description, and plans, that this is a houseboat, and not a sailboat.

Regards

#5 ·
1970 Uniflite - 36' and 2 Engines

The bloke selling the boat calls her a "Yacht Home," she looks like a houseboat from the waterline up, but the fiberglass hull is v-shaped like a fishing boat. She can cruise in calm to mild weather and I intend to explore the seas looking for booty and adventure!

Do you imagine I can still have a garden, or will a bit of salt spray kill it? I know there are certain flowering plants that live along the coast and can tolerate a bit of salt, but I am not sure about regular old plants.

Anyone?

#7 ·
There are a number of things that will grow on a boat. Especially herbs. I would go easy on adding too much superstructure up top though, if you plan to go anywhere. From what I can visualize of your plans, it sounds like adding a lot of windage up there. Not particularly a good thing, even in a motor boat. You might try the Livingaboard.com forum for more info on plants.

#8 ·
A good way to grow plants is an on deck greenhouse. A pretty small one will handle a fair number of herbs.

#10 ·
Glad to be of service. :D It was something I had read about... sounded workable, provided you setup the green house properly. The one in the article was setup primarily for herbs and fresh veggies... cabbage, carrots, basil, thyme, etc. If I can find the article, I'll e-mail what magazine it was in to you, as it had plans for building such said greenhouse. :D

#11 ·
Garden, ahoy!

Well, mateys - in anticipation of my new garden, I bought LOADS of seed last night and planted them in small starter containers! They should be big enough to move to larger planters and load onto the boat by the end of the month. Got mostly bright flowers that love a lot of sun.

Still looking for a small greenhouse - can I build this sort of thing myself? The ones online were mostly large and expensive.

Here's to one green thumb and one hand on the wheel!

#12 ·
The plans for the one I read about were relatively simple... and the materials weren't that expensive. I'm still looking for the article for ya. :D

#13 ·
Seedlings spotted off the starboard bow!

With much joy and bewilderment, I realized this morning that about 50 seedling popped up to say hello. Can hardly contain myself!

If anyone knows where to get some boat-friendly, sturdy, yet not to heavy planters or pots, please let me know. They will go on the top deck of my boat and I need to figure out how to make them stay put while under way.

Ideas?

#14 ·
With lots of BBQ's, happy hours, and plants growing on top, just when will you get to the high seas? (According to one expert, there are tjree kinds of liveaboards: those who do and go nowhere, Those who do and go everywhere, Those who sort of do (wish they were) and go somewhere occasionally..... I'm currently part of the 3rd group; haven't cut the land line yet....) Good luck. I will be interested in hearing about the experience after a few months....

#15 ·
" boat-friendly, sturdy, yet not to heavy planters or pots,"
Well, could see "Waterworld" a few times and study the tomato plant carefully. Putting it on a trimaran is the first step.

But on monohulls the traditional way to carry plants is to rig a boom gallows and then have all the planters gimballed below that, so they remain level at all times and further aft than most of the spray.

;)

#17 · (Edited)
7 days count down to live aboard

Hi all,

Plans are moving ahead very rapidly and there are only 7 days between me and a life on the high seas!

Thanks for all the advice, but can someone please explain the boom/gimball/plants hanging thing in more detail - these words have little meaning for me as I am new to the lingo.

Also, need advice on tearing up linoleum and replacing it with a wood floor - I have heard it is more complex because you can't let the wood swell from all the moisture as it would damage the boat. Any suggestions?

Can't wait to get off the land!!!

#18 ·
Boom gallows is a framework that goes across the stern of the boat (like an arch) for resting the boom on. You wouldn't have one, since your's isn't a sailboat, hence, no boom. You can visualize what he is saying somewhat by thinking of a swing set, with the plants as the swings.

Teak and holly is the usual wood boat floor, though it can be other things as well. As I haven't had to replace a floor, I let someone else more knowldedgeble go into more detail.

#19 ·
There is an article in the current issue of 'Good Old Boat' http://www.goodoldboat.com/ that details a very salty little green house that could live atop your vessel. I saw it in a store last week and picked it up, all while thinking of this thread. I moved aboard 15 days ago; I've been thinking about planting some herbs... Unfortunately I'll have to put away the green thumb until things get settled, not to mention the wind has been favorable here in NY: we must sail as we are sailors!

#20 ·
Thanks suigeneris76. That's the article I was thinking of. The greenhouse is designed to have a large central planter and smaller pots in the four corners IIRC.

#21 ·
Only 2 Days!!!

:p So, I just spoke to the current owner of my boat and here is the good news - I move on board this Sunday!
I am walking on air - also, my loan funds today and I found full coverage insurance yesterday after being turned down by several companies.

I can't wait! If any one has tips for an easy transition from the land to the ocean, now is the time!

Thanks for all the great advice so far.

:D

#22 ·
Yay! Did you get a chance to look at the Good Old Boat magazine article on the greenhouse??

#23 ·
Greenhouse Search

Hi, I looked at their website, but I could not find the article - it may have been a glitch with my computer because after the main page, I couldn't get any other links to come up right. I will try it again today, but if you have the link to the article itself, I would appreciate it (or you could copy and email it to me).

Also, everything went great this weekend and I enjoyed a sunny picnic lunch with my family on the top deck after moving the first load of my stuff onboard yesterday!

Life is good on the water ;)

#24 ·
I don't believe the article is online yet, as it is in the current issue of the magazine IIRC. I think you'd be better off trying to get a hold of the current issue. Barnes & Noble sells the magazine in most places.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.