SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help with packing problem
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010

DrB will become famous soon enough
Boundarys on Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Yes, but on many boats, the stuffing box will drip very slowly when the shaft is not turning. If the stuffing box heats up noticeably when you're motoring, then it isn't being lubricated sufficiently—and you must adjust the stuffing box for when it is turning—and if it drips when the shaft isn't rotating, you just have to live with it.
SD and/or others,

Curious to as to what everyone believes is "heats up noticeably" when referring to a SB. Are we talking warm to the touch, hot to the touch, a few degrees above the water temp? My SB is pretty tight as in it doesn't let in water at all when at rest. I don't know what the drip rate is, maybe a drip or two every 1 to 2 minutes when running, but after the shaft has been turning for a several minutes, the SB area doesn't feel different than the shaft a few inches above it or the coupling. Not too concerned about my set-up, just curious on the "heats up noticeably" comment.

FWIW, I am running the West Marine GTU Gore Shaft Packing Material as my SB packing. 4 wraps.