SailNet Community - View Single Post - Refitting Interiors
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010

zboss is on a distinguished road
Refitting Interiors

Hi,

I am casting a wide net when looking for a boat, including some quite older boats that - outside of the usual issues for an older boat - might have some pretty dated cabins. If I were to find a boat with "good bones" (known via survey) at an excellent price but has a gaudy interior - I am entertaining the option of refitting the cabin.

While I am OK with a saw and hammer, there are a lot of skills I simply don't have to do this myself without it taking several summers to do. However, I can demolish with the best of them.

My inclination would be to leave the bulkheads intact, maybe the cabin sole, but rip out all the old laminates that were so popular at that time; then have a professional craftsman or yard complete the woodwork. I am very good with electronics and can do plumbing but I would want them to potentially replace or improve the water/fuel/holding tanks to modern standards.

So, my questions are:

1) What is the name of the profession that refits cabins?
2) On the Chesapeake, are there vendors which excel at this type of work?
3) What about individual craftsmen/women?
4) For the length of boat (we are looking at 35-37 feet) what ballpark costs have you seen for this type of work?

Thanks!

Last edited by zboss; 08-15-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook