SailNet Community - View Single Post - Refitting Interiors
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010

zboss is on a distinguished road
Sounds advice all around.

Like I said, my wife and I are casting a wide net. The issue from my side is that, frankly, I could happily cruise around on a 27 foot but she... no way. So, in the range of about 35-40 feet we are financially limited to classic cruisers if we want to depart on schedule in the spring of 2013. If we can find a decent boat that does not require a lot of refit - that is my preference BUT I am keep my options open.

I am setting aside 10K for refit as needed at the time of purchase, then 10K maintenance per year thereafter. Assuming the sails have some life left in them, we will send them out for refurbishing, same with the engine. However, unless the plumbing is in great shape, at least a large part of that 10K will be to pull all the plumbing/head and update it and de-stinkify.

No offense intended on anyone here who has a classic boat with burled laminates - it's not for me. I much prefer traditional woods. I did see some very nice classic boats that had their interiors improved using bamboo which looked incredible.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook