SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for a boat to teach my children how to sail
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
The Snark is likely a better choice for putting on top of your car then a Sunfish as it is one of the lighter boats out there. I am not familiar with an 'Eclipse Mango' sailboat so I can't comment on that. A link to the ad or maker of the boat might help.
I don't want to discourage your idea of taking your children sailing at a young age but... I volunteered at a junior sailing program this summer that used Sunfish sailboats for ages 12 - 16. Many of those teens that were in our program had the attention span of a fly and could not adequately handle the helm much less the sail 'trim' or point of sail. A few of them were also quite competent and came to us after learning a bit of sailing from their families who started them young.
What age is appropriate to start sailing? I really don't know.
Even if they are good swimmers life vests should be mandatory even if it is a small lake.
Good luck.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook