SailNet Community - View Single Post - pearson 30 1973
Thread: pearson 30 1973
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Fascinating. We've had our P30 since about this time of the year in 2007. So that means we've had her on the hard, for winter storage, three times. In '07 and '08 we joined a club haulout and storage, so we did it ourselves, with guidance from fellow club members. Last winter we paid a yard. Six jackstands: A vee on the bow and three along each side. Took care to space them well and make sure the boat was balanced, with a slight tilt toward the stern for drainage. I don't recall how she was blocked under the keel for the previous two years, but she had one on the leading edge and one further back last winter. Nothing's ever oil-canned or collapsed.

First I've ever heard of the P30 being structurally inferior. I've always heard most Pearsons, the P30 included, were built like tanks. What I've always heard makes them unsuitable for off-shore use is the spade rudder.

Jim
I've owned Grey Goose since roughly the same time and have experienced no oil-canning or hull distortion in the 3 seasons we have wintered her on the hard. As Jim has stated, balance and adequate support is important. As far as off-shore use -- yeah, the spade (actually scimitar) rudder is a little vulnerable and I might look towards a full keel for greater stability. P30s are regarded as being somewhat 'tender' and I'm inclined to agree. Structurally inferior? Compared to what? Not sure I would call it a tank, but I would say they are structurally more sound than some other production boats (no names...).
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook