SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for Trailerable Boats to Consider
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010

jim2553 is on a distinguished road
@bljones - that is a beauty! For some reason the Hake Seaward really speaks to me.

@Charlie - I bet we would get along very well. That is what I call jumping in with both feet. You will want to get someone with a reasonably big truck to help you get it out this fall. I love the Hunter 25 cabin layout, it looks very comfortable to me ( I have never been in one so this is just what I have seen with pictures ). I would suggest getting and reading "Learn to Sail" by Denis Conner. It won't teach you some practical things like how to step your mast or how to get a wing-keel boat successfully onto a trailer. I am a big proponent of the self taught method and IMO you can do this if you are careful.

For me careful is all about not going out in too big of water. That is, if the wind is blowing 8-12 knots then you can learn alot pretty safely. If it is blowing 15+, get some beer and enjoy your cabin.

When we were learning, I was more freaked out about; launching, retrieving, motoring in and out of our slip. Once on the water it seemed a bit less crazy.

I doubt we can make it to Colorado this fall, everyone in my family has started school ( wife teaches ) and it is too much of a trip for a weekend.

There is a pretty active yacht in Littleton on Chatfield Reservoir, I bet you could pickup some instruction there if you wanted. Colorado Sail & Yacht Club is their web address. We bought our first boat from a couple there. The lake isn't that big but we had a big time on it even as rookies. ( which I still consider myself to be ).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook