SailNet Community - View Single Post - pearson 30 1973
Thread: pearson 30 1973
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010

hobbits is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up oil canning pearson hull

i see.your not bothering me,i appreciate your help and advice.so the dimples you n i are discussing in forward hull port an starboard are from oil canning?i did some research on oil canning and it seems you are probably correct there.it seems that once the paint is removed,which it will be this week,i need to inspect for stress cracks in and under gel coat.since both dimples are exactly on opposite sides directly across from each other,once pushed back out a rib could be placed inside to give it stiffner strength,correct?if there are cracks then would that be repairable?
i appreciate your advice very much as at survey haul out there was no mention of oil canning which on reveiw of what ive now researched should have been mentioned.after what i know now thanks to you alerting me to oil canning i would have stopped survey and simply walked away.however i own it so now i need to fix it.the guy who is doing the repair has extensive fiberglass experience and i have asked him to advise me on cracks,and or using a stiffner once dimples are pushed out.he is hard to reach as he is a hands on kinda guy,so i need to be patient.
although you say pearsons of my age and model are no good in the ocean,yet you sailed one from canada to fl.many times,wouldnt that be in the ocean?im kinda confused here.since you are friends of the pearson brothers do you have alink that i can have to contact them?it would be greatly appreciated.thank you for alerting me to this problem and your help w/it.i quess i,ll be getting another boat to go to the s.pacific.any suggestions on what to shop for?size?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook