SailNet Community - View Single Post - Intermediate sailor seeks advice re: liveaboard pocket cruisers
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2001

Libby is on a distinguished road
Intermediate sailor seeks advice re: liveaboard pocket cruisers

Hi Jack. Well I took your advice and am strongly considering buying a Vega 27. I have made an offer and we are in negotiations. This one has been dry docked for about 15 years, but appears to be in good condition, as it was kept covered. It has a new diesel, but I would have to complete the installation. I also need to install a holding tank. One reservation is the lack of headroom forward of the main bulkhead, as it would be cramped for living aboard, but it is the first boat I have looked at that I really want to SAIL. Guess that''s what they are for, after all.
You mentioned they routinely did transatlantic crossings. Do you know of any circumnavigations? Are they designed to be offshore / bluewater cruisers? Should I have a lot of confidence in it''s seaworthiness? What boat might be a good comparison? I know the Tartan 27 is much heavier and keel/centerboard, but how would the 2 compare as far as coastal - blue water cruising ability?
Any further suggestions are most welcome from everyone. I am really grateful for the network of support that this message board has provided. Thanks for everyone''s feedback. Happy sailing, -Jen/"Libby"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook