SailNet Community - View Single Post - I need a rudder that won't drive me crazy
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010

Daveinet is on a distinguished road
I will look into fixing the rudder. Thanks for the term NACA. It is a good term to search on for usable profiles.

Had the boat out again yesterday under strong winds. Was too chicken to run the Hobie sail, so I flew the OEM sail and reefed. The boat was difficult to control. I sailed with just the main alone and also with main and jib. The boat wanted to turn down wind. Very difficult to come about. It would get almost straight into the wind and it would turn back down wind again. All the while the boat was still moving forward. Problem nearly the same with the jib up or down. I wonder if it was worse, because it was reefed. That should put the center of effort forward, I would think. The boat is supposed to be self righting, but was difficult to turn into the wind when laid over too far - a little scary. Dropping the main, and it still was hard to turn out of it.

Not sure what the wind speed was, but at the end, I dropped both sails in about the middle of the lake. The wind blew me to the dock at about a steady 2 knots with both sails DOWN. Crazy windy day.

Hopefully I can get out on a calmer day and use the Hobie sail again. It is just discouraging trying to sail the boat on the OEM main. The Hobie sail seems to act much more normal, so I feel much safer.
Hobie 14'
Sunfish project boat

Sailing a large boat on a small lake is very tacky.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook