SailNet Community - View Single Post - outboard on a Soling..?
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010

Ascension is on a distinguished road
Thank you all for your input, I need to perhaps be a little clearer though about my intentions!

I will indeed have a couple of paddles on board, I am looking for a safe gaurd solution to be preppared for the unexpected should the worst happen.

I would hope that I never have to call upon the use of an outboard or similar device. I know that it should be possible to sail through almost all conditions however one cannot sail with no wind and yes I know a soling will sail with the lightest breeze. Let me give you a for instance...

I live right on thd waters edge, my job means that I start early, finish at 11am then back on duty at 5pm... A fantastic window to go for a sail weather permitting! Hurray!

Sun in shining, it a beautiful day and then the wind drops and I'm 5miles away from home, eek!!! With a deadline of an evening shift looming...
I need to have another way of getting home in time!

Or if in the same situation the wind picked up rapidly (as it can do here) and something breaks impeding my abilty to sail her. If caught in a tidal flow, coupled with a strong wind in the wrong direction means that a couple if paddles are just not going to cut it! Especially if I was alone at the time!

This idea of an engine is nothing mire than an emergency back up plan!

One thought occurs...
What about a garden strimmer with a prop attached?
I know a guy who powered a Canadian canoe like that lol

If I went that route thd shaft would be long enogh that I could have some kind of mounting solution towards the back if thd boat and still have both tiler and strimmer engine/controls within tracing distance of thd helm???
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook