SailNet Community - View Single Post - NEW B Questions
Thread: NEW B Questions
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010

trisstan87 is on a distinguished road
Question NEW B Questions

I am an official newb and I have officially newb questions I would like to ask. I really enjoy looking around these forums and reading up on so many different things. A few comments/questions I have that I havent found answered I will put here:

Why is is so unbelievably expensive to sail through the Panama Canal? Over $1000 for an 11 mile stretch of waterway? Seriously? Your really not kidding?

Traversing the Horn is never "safe" no matter what the size of the vessel. However, is it stupidity to try and round the Horn in a sail boat 35' or less? *I should add that in this scenario the boat would be single-handed.*
The reason I ask this question is because when I set sail (4-5 years from this date) I will have no more time constraints and so I just imagined being able to save a lot of money by skipping the canal and rounding the horn.
***P.S.--Is the route that Joshua Slocum took through the horn (not around it but through the water ways and channels) still open to small vessels sailing through?

What sort of strucutal damage does a boat take from prolonged exposure to rough seas? I understand how lines and sails could be affected and cleats could be loosened but do waves breaking over the bow or on the hull risk breaking the boat?

Should boats like Hunters/Catalinas even be considered for oceanic voyage or should you keep your search in the realm of islanders and able type crafts?

I have so many questions that I forget some and think of new ones all the time. I will continue searching for my answers but I hope you sage's will not mind my postings in the meantime. I predict to be active on this site for the long haul and look forward to including those interested in my progress as I go from sea rat to sea cat and on my way to sea dog!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook