SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hello from Bucksport, Maine and...
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010
Bucksport, Maine or Bust

truckmen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to truckmen Send a message via AIM to truckmen Send a message via Yahoo to truckmen Send a message via Skype™ to truckmen
Smile Hello from Bucksport, Maine and...

...shame on me for not introducing myself earlier.

I've been a member for some time and didn't think to stop by here but thought I'll drop by and say hello.

I am a merchant mariner by trade now, holding a 1600-Master/Oceans ticket; currently on board a derrick barge working in the Gulf of Mexico as a DPO (dynamic positioning officer). Been at it for about 4 years.

Back at the house in Maine, I own a couple of sailboats. I have an older 1960s Tylercraft 24 sitting awaiting repairs and restoration. Got her from an older gentleman in Winterport, Maine.

Also in Maine, I have an early 1960s home-built all-wooden centerboard (and trailer-able) 19-foot day sailer that was given me some years ago. This old gal sat under a tree for 15+ years and the bottom is rotted out. She too, is awaiting her turn at coming back to life.

Some years ago, I was also given a 35-foot ketch that was built way back in 1941 by David "Bud" McIntosh. If you've ever read the book "How to Build a Wooden Boat" some of those drawings in that book very closely resemble Sarabande, the ketch I've just mentioned. Sadly, she's iron sick, with split frames through-out and will probably never see the sea again.

Lastly, and most recently, I've acquired yet another fiberglass Tylercraft. This one is currently located in Lindenhurst, Long Island, NY and I am preparing to sail her home beginning around Sept 9 (this year). She is a 26-foot sloop built in 1972.

I am becoming especially fond of these Tylercrafts and looking forward to seeing how they sail with those canted, twin keels they each have.
Anyone here have a Tylercraft or know of someone who does?

Well, thanks for reading all the way through. Hope to see you out there somewhere and sometime.

Most Sincerely,

Ralph M Bohm
S/V Alina Marie
S/V Sarabande
S/V no name yet (Tylercraft 24)
S/V no name yet (19-foot day sailer)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook