SailNet Community - View Single Post - NEW B Questions
Thread: NEW B Questions
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Tristan, what everyone's trying to say is that it's hard to give you answers you'll really understand given your current level of knowledge. We're all assuming that you're capable of learning, so there's no real need to share your academic prowess, but many of the questions you've asked on this thread and others are ones that display a sort of laziness about reading and researching first. Prioritize your thoughts, and you'll get better answers. A good set of first questions would be something like:

There are a lot of sailing books out there. Are there any in particular that you'd recommend reading to help me learn more about blue water voyaging, boats, design, sailing, maintenance, etc... ? (you've already been given a short list... maybe add one of Nigel Calder's maintenance books as well )

Are there 'don't miss' periodicals that I should subscribe to or look up at the library?

Are there other web sites that I should keep an eye on?

I live (name your specific location). Can anyone recommend a good sailing school in the area? I'd like to spend time on both keel boats and dingy sailing. (Your university will probably have some sort of sailing club... this can be a great place to start!)

Where in my area can I look for opportunities to crew on race boats? Do any of you need crew?

At a minimum, what kind of foul weather gear do I need to sail in our local weather conditions?

Etc....

In general, it's kind of like asking about becoming a Le Mans driver, and asking about the minutia of the race car, before you have your first license or any time behind the wheel of anything. You can see why we're telling you to sort out your thoughts... but by all means, keep your enthusiasm and energy!

( It's beginning to look like Tristan is a troll . )

Last edited by puddinlegs; 08-19-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook