SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cheoy Lee Luder's 36
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010

jandrade is on a distinguished road
Hey Chaz... saw your blog. nice... the old teak was not salvagable.. it was so thin in areas that it snapped easily.. it made for a nice pile of kindling in my fireplace last winter, though I didn't want to burn much there due to the glue still on the teak.

Also, I have built a new glass deck on top of the old one and would never put teak down again. If you plan to sail anywhere hot, glass is so much easier on your feet, while also being so much easier to maintain. The deck I built has a core of Divinicyl Foam so my new glass deck is the same level as the old teak deck was, plus I have a truly great insulator for living aboard in cold months.

Additionally, I ended up with very strong "double-decker" construction and will never have to worry about the old lower deck delaminating... I repaired all it's delam but if it it does behave badly the new deck takes all the load... and in the end, one can play tennis onboard and there is NO flexing or dipping on the new deck.. solid as she was designed to be. Most of the teak deck removals I see on these boats simply remove the teak, fill the holes and paint or gelcoat over... it leaves gaps and low spots, and in the end you're still relegated to the original deck. While more work, putting a layer of core material down and laying up a new surface essentially creates an optimal new deck.

On the other hand, I've had the boat in the shop for 8 months... expect to finish the primer and fairing tomorrow and she's scheduled for a topsides, deck and cabin Awlgrip beginning of next month. So much for summer sailing in New England, but she's going to be sweet and really ready for next year. (Bermuda I hope! )
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook