SailNet Community - View Single Post - Salem to Nantucket with a 3 year old....
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
A stop in Scituate or Plymouth, then another in Cataumet...
I like the suggestion of Cataumet -- better than mine of Hyannis.

Plymouth/Duxbury is a great location too. However, I did not suggest it because it can take so long to sail up and into Plymouth Harbor (especially with a foul tide) -- almost as long as it takes to go the remaining distance to the canal. And then you have to double back on the way out.

But if you do go in there, you can save some time/distance by hooking a right at Duxbury Pier Light (aka "Bug Light") and anchor near Clark's Island (check charts carefully for depth at low tide). From there, if you have a dinghy you can go ashore on the backside of Saquish Head, which is a fun beach for kids (Clark's Island is private so no trespassing).

I have even seen boats spend the night anchored off the beach at Saquish Neck (between the Gurnet Light and Duxbury Pier) - but only with a fair forecast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook