SailNet Community - View Single Post - Portable A/C
Thread: Portable A/C
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2006

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Delphinus
We have a hatch portable A/C that always leaks on my husbands head while trying to sleep (water torture). Also, it takes the humidity out of our 36' S2 but doesn't cool except the aft cabin in which its above. We have seen the rolling kind. Any thoughts if these would be good aboard while tied to the slip? It gets very hot while trying to do maintenence in July, August.
Thanks
We bought one of the room type air condtioners your are thinking of. However after setting it up in the garage we decided it was just too big for our 32' footer. All the units we've seen are about waist high, and the 8000 BTU we tried weighed over 70 pounds. I just couldn't see where we could secure it when underway, and even while at the dock, it would take too much space.

It's too bad they can't get the exterior dimensions down to about 1/2 the current size because if they were a bit smaller they would be perfect for a boat.

We took the room unit back and got a small window unit that I will fit to either the companionway or one of the hatches. Hopefully that will provide enough cooling and not be too cumbersome.

Bill and Jill
s/v Palmetto Moon
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook