SailNet Community - View Single Post - Block Island Day 1
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Block Island Day 1

Hey,

Back in June I wrote about my proposed trip to Block. A few things happened to delay the trip, but we're on our way.

We left Mt. Sinai today (Sat Aug 21) with our destination as Orient By The Sea marina near Orient Point. Tomorrow we sail for Block Island.

The trip today was not much fun. We departed at 9:30, high tide. The weather forecast was E winds at 5-10, moving SE in the afternoon. Out in the sound, we had NE wind at 10-15. With the tide against the wind the conditions were miserable. Short steep chop. Motorsailing with main up our speed was slow - 5 kts SOG, even less towards our destination.

After 30 minutes I was ready to give up but my wife wanted to push on. Two hours later I was looking for alternatives - Clinton or Westbrook CT on the CT side, or maybe Mattituck on the LI side.

An hour later the apparent wind was 18 kits, on the nose of course, and the seas were like a washing machine. All ports and hatches closed, spray covering the dodger. It was terrible.

Then, slowly, the wind started to calm down. At 13 kts it was bearable. By the time the wind was down to 10 kts and the seas calmed it was pleasant. Then the tide kicked in and our SOG zoomed to 8 kts for an hour.

The arrival at Orient By The Sea was uneventful, but this is the smallest marina I have ever been in. It took all of my boat driving experience just to get in and turned towards the dock. I left the S wind push me up against it. We tied up, and then the marina owner told us the dock hands gave us the wrong slip and we had go 'around back' to another slip.

Here we are but I hope we can get out tomorrow.

Cross your finger for decent weather. At least we only have 30 nm to go.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook