SailNet Community - View Single Post - Block Island Day 1
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Block Island - Day Two - We Are Here

Hello,

I case you care I am sending this from my slip at the Block Island Boat Basin. So we made it to Block Island.

The trip over was worse than the trip to Orient Point. When we checked the weather forecast this morning, it was bad - rain likely, chance of thunderstorms, wind SE at 15 kts or so.

So I knew it would not be a good trip, but we're on vacation so what the heck?

We were underway at 810, and the first half of the trip wasn't bad. Light rain, wind SE at 15, but the water wasn't too bad. Then the tide changed and wind against tide made for short, choppy seas. Still, after yesterday I knew the boat (and crew) could take it. So we kept on, motor sailing with full main and no head sail.

At one point I saw a squall line approach and I warned my wife that we were going to get hit. This line had lots of rain but not much wind. visibility dropped to a few feet but the heavy rain didn't last long - maybe 5 minutes.

When we were 10 miles away we spotted Block Island - great but we still had 2 hours to go. Then I saw a line of dark clouds to the south. Real dark.

When we were 5 miles away the sky got very dark. The line was here. This time the squall had lots of rain, AND lots of wind. I watched the gauge climb - 20, 24, 28, 30, 32. The water was blown flat. I could not see 10 feet in front of me. I wanted to lower the sail but I was not going to hand the wheel off to my wife or go forward to lower the sail. So all I could do was pinch up close to the wind. By keeping the boat around 10 degrees off the wind we weren't knocked down too much and the motion wasn't terrible.

The big squall ended after 15 minutes and we had under an hour to go. I was cold, wet, and miserable. We made it to New Harbor soon after and I was able to back into the slip and get tied up.

My wife and daughters took a hot shower while my son and I cleaned up the boat.

So we are here, but the weather isn't supposed to be great Monday and Tuesday. We'll do the best we can, a drink at the Oar will help me.

The trip home HAS to be better!

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BarryL; 08-23-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook