SailNet Community - View Single Post - stuffing box repacking and flax size
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010
Panhandle Sailor

dreuge is on a distinguished road
stuffing box repacking and flax size

Hi,

I have a 1979 C&C 29 Mk1, and I need to repack the stuffing box with the boat in the water. I have already tightened it a few times with short term sucess. I plan to use an old sliced-open bike tube to wrap around the stuffing box while I am working on the repacking, but I want to minimize the time which I have the gland nut off. Does anyone know what is a packing size a C&C 29 would use? I believe it has a 1" shaft.

The marina at which I keep the boat is not conveniently close to a marine supplies stores so I am hoping someone familiar with a C&C 29 would know which size flax to purchase or which size is likely. Given a probable size, I may tempt to purchase several sizes (say 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 ) and try to arrange a return after the work.

I see that West Marine sells Teflon Flax and GTU Gore. But in googling GTU, I came across GFO Gore-Tex dripless packing (see www.gfopacking.com ). Does anyone have experience with GFO?

Any input into the size or even which type of packing material would be great. Thanks.

Last edited by dreuge; 08-25-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook