SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1975 Seafarer 22 Refurb
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010

Cjflyer is on a distinguished road
I posted the following to a different thread. I have begun the salvage process and plan to refocus my refurbish efforts on my 72 MacGregor. Should get many parts from the SF22. I am a little bummed but thankful that I can sell the trailer and lead keel plus gain all the parts I was needing for the Mac.

Lessons learned here are many. 1. If you don't know what to look for, get someone who does. 2. If your "low ball" offer is accepted, the reason is more likely a quality issue than a charity issue. 3. Minimize risk by ensuring there is at least the possibility to break even on your investment. Etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjflyer View Post
Well... I noticed an attempted repair aft of the keel fin where it attaches to the hull. I lifted the boat to get the weight off the keel. The fin sagged back into place as the weight was lifted. It moved about an inch to two inches vertically. It appears to me that the keel was broken from dropping it or perhaps years of hard groundings etc.

Since a previous owner attempted to repair the cracked fiberglass it appears that it was sailed in this condition. Since we plan to only sail in lakes and in mild water conditions I am not sure how big of an issue this is. It seems big.

My options are to salvage parts and scrap the boat and proceed with the refurb on my 72 MacGregor. Or, spend lots of time and money on a major repair on the SF22. Or, find a happy medium in there somewhere.

I would much rather have the sailing characteristics of the SF22 but I would rather not have the keel snap off and capsize.. Besides the obvious, "you get what you pay for" comments, are there any thoughts out there on how I could proceed? I paid $300 for the boat, trailer and 9.5 outboard and it is my sincere belief that the owner I purchased from did not know about this damage as he never sailed the boat. Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook