SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mast Wiring
Thread: Mast Wiring
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor50 View Post
I would consider putting PVC conduit to silence the cables if there hasn't been one previously installed.
Oh yeah, this is a good idea as well. When we re-did our mast this was recommended by the riggers working on the standing rigging, but do to time and budget constraints we opted for a different route. Rather then a conduit, we put large zip ties around the wires, with the tails sticking of at different angles. Groups of 3 - 5, 3 - 5 feet apart. This was cheap and quick, holds the wires so they do not bang, and still allows us to easily pull new wires through the mast (Using the messengers which are not tied into the bundle). In fact, I believe a new line pulled through the tails would also not bang around, just do to the jungle of zip tie tails all over the place.

This has worked well for us and I would recommend it if time and budget do not allow for a real conduit. However, I know it is far from idea as there is more opportunity for chafe as the wires can move a bit, etc. It is better then all the wires free hanging in the mast and banging around, but not as good as a real conduit.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook