SailNet Community - View Single Post - Who taught themselves how to sail?
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010

sterilecuckoo58 is on a distinguished road
Did not learn by myself; college offered Tech dinghy's and I loved it. A few years later my Dad was thinking sailboat, and we (family) rented a few on the Great South Bay. We played with two Phantoms one day, and sailed little sloops for a few trips. I taught him everything I knew. He bought a Vivacity 24 then (Echo in case her former owners are reading) and in the early years I sailed often with my folks, but haven't in the past 20 years.

As a father, I took advantage of the Community Boating Inc.s program on the Charles River, and both my kids learned to sail, my daughter instructed there, my son learned some racing skills.

My father transferred her to us before he left on his final voyage into eternity. Ten days ago Milady, my son and I took her out from her home port and headed her east x northeast and it was my son teaching his father a few things about sailing. I had a few things to teach him too, but an interesting replay.

More important than the sailing skills themselves though, was the preparedness to deal with things when they went awry. Spare parts for the motor, rigging, tools and sail repair capabilities are essential. Knowing where they are in urgent moment clinches the deal.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook