SailNet Community - View Single Post - Horizon Nemo '39 Info needed
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2006
Captain S/V Nereus

Nereus39 is on a distinguished road
Horizon 39

I'm the reasonably happy owner of an Horizon 39 which is currently "in transit" from Manitowoc Wi to the Caribbean via the inland waterways. There are/were about 40 of these vessels here and there produced between 1980 and 1989 when the company went out of business. Based on "the numbers" the Horizon was featured as "one of the best off-shore boats" available for under $100,000 by Cruising World back in 1998. Primarily the Horizon was sold first as a bare hull for fitting out by the owner/yard as a sloop, cutter, or even ketch/yawl.

I understand that the company manuafactured a few boats under the brand name of Nemo. As much as I can tell, each vessel is more or less unique. By today's standards they are heavy and slow but in a full gale with wave crests above the radar mast I've been thoroughly pleased with the boats ability to handle the weather! IMHO, the Horizon can well serve the cruising needs of a cruiser for a couple who doesn't need 3 suites and 2 heads from the ex-charter boats and prefer more room for minor things like extra batter bank, water, fuel, sails, etc. My own cutter version of the craft has a stainless bow sprit for carrying an asymetrical spinnaker well forward of the headsails.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook