SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stay out of Georgia
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010
S/V Argo-Pacific Seacraft

SVArgo is on a distinguished road
Georgia on my mind...

If anyone has a link to the below mentioned law, I would love to see it. As it is explained below makes absolutely no sense whatsover, and hope that the poster is mistaken. You have a houseboat on Lake Lanier, or anywhere else in Georgia, and you can only stay on it about two days a month? The state is telling you that you can only weekend on your vessel one weekend a month? Sounds dubious to me, especially for a red state.

I could see the taxation issue, all these states that invested state public pension and other money in derivatives and all the other shakily engineered financial products are broke, and they're trying to recoup any way they can.

Sounds to me like Henry David Thoreau style Civil Disobedience is the appropriate response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I think the major point is being missed here.
The Georgia law which is causing such consternation does not affect how long you can keep your boat in the state. It affects how many days you can live on your boat, in this case not more than 30 days annually.
You can be a Georgia resident, have paid Georgia sale taxes on the purchase of your boat, and have your boat properly registered in Georgia, and you cannot sleep on it more than 30 days (nights). This, of course, also applies to non-residents.
They might not throw you out of the state, but the way the law is written I believe they can make you move off your boat.
This does not get noticed as much by transients obviously. It is turning some Georgia boaters into former Georgia boaters, I understand that there are efforts to repeal/amend this law but I don't think there's been any success yet.