SailNet Community - View Single Post - Good Years and Bad Years
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
I keep seeing that explanation about "them" not knowing how much fiberglass was needed. Now, this isn't aimed at any one person, but I just don't buy that. The first high temperature plastic composites had already been in use for several years in the SR-71. We were already well into the space program. When you consider the precision of the mechanics of so much that already existed, it doesn't make sense. Maybe they didn't know how little they could use and still have something hold together for a few years, but if they didn't know how much to use, why would the amount they decided to use have been enough? Why not twice as much? Granted, time and real-world experience bring information that, even now cannot be fully simulated, but it's pretty insulting to the whole industry of the time to say they didn't know what they were doing. Is it really believable that "they" would build with this new material without at least having some basic understanding of the strength of said material? I mean come on.

Last edited by seabreeze_97; 08-25-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook