SailNet Community - View Single Post - Warning of Fraudsters and Scams
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010
Almost land locked sailor

Freshbreeze is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Warning of Fraudsters and Scams

Hi guys,

It has been while since I was last on this site, and it is a shame my first post for ages is about Scams.

I have been searching for Jobs in the Marine Industry for quite a while, and an e-mail arrived - as usual - from crewfile.net. It seemed to be the real McCoy, but as I found out it was not!

I was applying for a deckhand position with a REAL company, and the e-mails I received checked out with the companies web site. I sent off some details about myself, but then heard nothing. I done a search online and found a similar advert for a similar job, same company, all details seemed O.K., and there was a number to call. I called it, but the line was all broken - just like it was bad signal. I then decided to google the e-mail address I was replying to, and it came back with some shocking results... it was a known scam artist e-mail!

I had a friend check out the website i was on, and the website had the same look, same info etc. BUT the contact number was different, and the address was almost identical!

I don't intend on alarming you folks, but this scam is going on (and I am unfortunately proof)

This is a warning from someone who has found out the hard way - don't just jump into things, but do your research first!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook