SailNet Community - View Single Post - Warning of Fraudsters and Scams
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshbreeze View Post
Hi guys,

It has been while since I was last on this site, and it is a shame my first post for ages is about Scams.

I have been searching for Jobs in the Marine Industry for quite a while, and an e-mail arrived - as usual - from crewfile.net. It seemed to be the real McCoy, but as I found out it was not!

I was applying for a deckhand position with a REAL company, and the e-mails I received checked out with the companies web site. I sent off some details about myself, but then heard nothing. I done a search online and found a similar advert for a similar job, same company, all details seemed O.K., and there was a number to call. I called it, but the line was all broken - just like it was bad signal. I then decided to google the e-mail address I was replying to, and it came back with some shocking results... it was a known scam artist e-mail!

I had a friend check out the website i was on, and the website had the same look, same info etc. BUT the contact number was different, and the address was almost identical!

I don't intend on alarming you folks, but this scam is going on (and I am unfortunately proof)

This is a warning from someone who has found out the hard way - don't just jump into things, but do your research first!

I was the victim of an attempted email scam recently that use a SailNet member's email address. Can't be too careful these days.

Maybe you should ask the moderators to post this in the Crew Wanted forum too.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook