SailNet Community - View Single Post - Masthead versus Fractional
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Masthead versus Fractional

The traditional frame of thought, as I had always been told, was that a fractional rig was always preferred over a masthead. It was interesting, because in teh last race I was in, there seemed to be a real preferenece to move away from fractionals and go to mastheads for the extra sail area. I also found many of teh boats running a asym versus symetrical for ease of use and more versatility. This especailly comes in to play when racing with a short crew.

I have to tell you, after seeing what I saw, it would be hard not to go with a masthead. I wonder if the fractional frame of thought is overblown or out of date (jeff will kill me). I am curious what others think... also what they think about a symetrical versus asym. Now, in medium-heavy airs, I think the argument could be made for a fractional and probably a symetrical. But for lighter airs, I wonder if the mast head and asym will win every time???

Thoughts??

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook