SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at a Hunter 25, need advice.
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2006

bdevries is on a distinguished road
Yah - I looked at that (trying to find out more information about the old Hunter 25s) but I guess it really didn't sink in. When I was looking at a few different boats the sales people / brokers were pushing me towards a 15hp outboard - which I suppose would be overkill given that the new ones only support up to 10hp.

Would it be reasonable to get away with a 6 hp? Or am I just going to be cursing myself when I am out on the water trying to get into the marina not being able to motor up against the wind?

I know I am coming across as a complete idiot but I really am finding myself up at a point where the little crappy foam 12 footers that I sailed around inland lakes (as apposed to Lake Michigan) to be a bit simpler. Just looking at the amount of rope and all that on a 25 footer leaves me a bit confused. I have signed up for classes, knowing I am a bit lost without instruction, so please accept my apologies for being a bit clueless.

Anyway - thanks for the response. Now that I am at least comfortable ruling out the 15hp engine in favor of the 10hp I am at least back down to (what my budget considers) a reasonable amount of cash to get the boat ready to go. Thanks

Anyone have any thoughts or experience on their own 25 footers? What kind of engine are you running and what would you think would be to poor an engine? Anyone have any comments on the cracks around the keel to fiberglass joint?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook