SailNet Community - View Single Post - Before buying your monohull, did you consider ...
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010

jcalvinmarks is on a distinguished road
For the size and price range I was looking at, there weren't really any multihull options. I wanted a small (22 feet or less), affordable (under $3,000) boat with a cabin. A multihull with any appreciable size cabin in that size range would probably be a) pretty rare, and b) accordingly expensive. Otherwise, I'd be in a Hobie, which was not what I had in mind, so it was a monohull for me.

From a strictly aesthetic point of view, multihulls are certainly very unconventional-looking craft. Which is neither here nor there. But if you want classic lines and a very traditional hull form and sail plan, a multihull isn't going to appeal to you very much. I don't care for the ultra-sleek ultra-modern multihulls, like L'Hydroptere and the newest America's Cup boats. But a Piver trimaran or even SD's Telstar can have a certain appeal ... if you squint your eyes and **** your head to the side.

But yes, there are all kinds of ugly monohulls.

Last edited by jcalvinmarks; 08-27-2010 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Did the board really just bleep me? Ok, then "if you [rooster] your head to the side..."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook