SailNet Community - View Single Post - Block Island Day 1
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
All Done - We Are Home

Hi Guys,

Brief update on my Block Island 'vacation'. It was very wet and very windy. So windy that we could not stay on the boat Monday or Tuesday night. Instead I rented two rooms at a hotel in town. I didn't even expect my boat to the in the slip Tuesday morning, it was that bad Monday night. Other than one snapped dock line, the boat survived fine.

The trip home was much easier and better than the trip to Block. We departed BI Thursday morning and sailed to Spicers Marina in Noank. The weather got better as the day went on and we actually sailed for a bit.

We sailed home Friday. It was long (50nm) but the weather was nice and we sailed for 1/2 the trip and motorsailed the rest (wind too forward to sail the rest).

When we made it home the dingy was still there, but it was 1/2 full of water and the oars and oarlocks were gone. I keep a spare set of both on the boat so I was able to get home.

I was very happy with how the boat worked. It was nothing less than perfect. All the gear worked great: engine, sails, plumbing, electrical, etc. The inside was even dry by the time we made it home.

In case anyone is interested, I have a long write up and lots of pictures here:
Block Island Sailing Vacation - Sailing - Spot

There is a map and pics at the bottom.

Barry
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook