SailNet Community - View Single Post - How 'bout it? Any Soverel owners?
View Single Post
post #14 of Old 08-29-2010
silverlining37

Ahoy there,

We just got a 1973 Soverel 37 ketch. We have a guy going over her engine and wiring now to be sure everything works and she is a safe boat. We are fixing minor top side leaks and sanding the teak. Sand and paint when it gets cooler. I want to ditch the stove and operate basic galley stuff from an inverter. Our mechanic is helping us with that, too. Also want a 12 V refrigerator rather than an ice box to keep food safe. Since the stove and ice box are being 86'd, I want to re-do the cabinets to use that space. Luckily we have a friend in the cabinet business.

This is a great project because the vessel was not a disaster to start with. When my BF and his brother sailed her from Ft Myers Beach home to Punta Gorda, she was a dream. A 50 foot Hatteras threw a 6 foot wake in the ICW and Silver Lining was rock steady.

I heard a guy say that today's boats have glass as thick as a clorox bottle, and the 70s vessels are rock solid. Sounds like the Soverel is solid and tough.

Sounds like this is a really cool place where folks can talk, share tips and tricks.

Maybe there's a place for before-and-after pictures, and I'll be happy to help anyone.

Nick and Natalie
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome