SailNet Community - View Single Post - Low profile main halyard knot
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
With many changing over to all-rope halyards from rope/wire spliced ones, another decision that comes is whether or not to splice a shackle onto the line.

Tying halyards on is another option, but often the length of the knot will interfere with a full hoist. However tying them on avoids the cost, hassle and potential whack on the head from a shackle and is easy to do. It also allows you to end-for-end the halyard, or simply trim a foot or so off a few times if wear or chafe becomes an issue.(For this reason it's not a bad idea to make it several feet too long from the start.)

Here's a knot we've been using for years without issue, and it's lower profile than any shackle. I was told it's called an "Aussie bowline" (sorry TD..) but I'm sure it has another more proper name somewhere. As the sequence indicates it's essentially a figure eight and a half hitch. The "loop" locks/chokes on much like a bowline's. I like to keep the tail a bit long and pointing aft so that the stopper is not strained, it can't get jammed against the mast in any way, and is easy to undo.
I don't know...some people...one rabbits on about how beautiful is the area in which they live, pays constant compliments on their photographic skills, all in all be a throughoughly nice chap and what do you get ? Abuse and snide comments. tsk tsk tsk....

As we carry on with the various upgrades and general maintenance to our old girl we have had some fabulous simple, cost effective ways to improve the sailing experience. Coincidentally a fellow VDS owner (Sailing Anarchy's "AllPissandWind") also uses Fast's method and suggested it to us a while back. From him also came that DIY preventer and for headsail sheets, a Dutch Shackle.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook