SailNet Community - View Single Post - NYC Hurricane Evacuation Suggestions
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010
S/V Argo-Pacific Seacraft

SVArgo is on a distinguished road
Evac Plan

Rick, thanks. As for hauling out, that's something I just will not do, regardless of what my insurance policy requires, for a number of reasons.

1) I liveaboard and am not going to sit on the hard during a storm.
2) The boat is subjected to greater forces on the rig and hull due to the wind, forces which cannot be damped or resisted by the heeling moment of the hull. That can damage the rig, hull, or knock the boat down.
3)I have seen many boats go over on the hard during a storm, with a domino effect to other boats all in a row.
4) If you're in the direct path with a large surge, you're in as much trouble, or more, on the hard, as on shore.
5) I'd rather get out of the way, than pull out, sit there and take it.
6) If the yard or yard equipment is damaged, or yard workers are unable to return to work, there's no telling when you can go back in the water.
7) My boat is designed to take it, I just need to be in a place where the lack of preparation of fellow boaters isn't going to be a problem.

Basically, I'd like to take all proactive measures not to be in a position where I'm in a storm's path in the first place. Or, as Chester Nimitz once said,

"The time for taking all measures for a ship's safety is while still able to do so. Nothing is more dangerous than for a seaman to be grudging in taking precautions lest they turn out to have been unnecessary. Safety at sea for a thousand years has depended on exactly the opposite philosophy."