SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing schools Victoria, British Columbia
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
This discussion about CYA / ISPA / ASA, etc.. is much like discussions about NAUI and PADI in the dive world. It is the quality of the instruction / instructor that matters.

A good instructor will give the benefit of their experience. I often tell prospective instructors that they need to have messed up a whole lot to to be able to teach well. As Bill Gates once said, "success teaches nothing." I guess the corollary of that is that failure points you in new directions.

I have never been asked for a logbook by any charter company. I have been asked for a resume. That indicates that experience matters more than certifications. As an instructor who often does more advanced courses I would support that view, as I get too many students who, while they have the paper qualifications, lack that helm time that gives that a "feel" for the boat.

Have a good course. The Gulf Islands is a great place to learn to sail.

I am heading for the coast on Wednesday for a Coastal Skipper course to Port Hardy, followed by a Yachtmaster Offshore course from Hardy back to Sidney via Hot Springs Cove and Barkley Sound.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook