SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing schools Victoria, British Columbia
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 08-30-2010
This discussion about CYA / ISPA / ASA, etc.. is much like discussions about NAUI and PADI in the dive world. It is the quality of the instruction / instructor that matters.

A good instructor will give the benefit of their experience. I often tell prospective instructors that they need to have messed up a whole lot to to be able to teach well. As Bill Gates once said, "success teaches nothing." I guess the corollary of that is that failure points you in new directions.

I have never been asked for a logbook by any charter company. I have been asked for a resume. That indicates that experience matters more than certifications. As an instructor who often does more advanced courses I would support that view, as I get too many students who, while they have the paper qualifications, lack that helm time that gives that a "feel" for the boat.

Have a good course. The Gulf Islands is a great place to learn to sail.

I am heading for the coast on Wednesday for a Coastal Skipper course to Port Hardy, followed by a Yachtmaster Offshore course from Hardy back to Sidney via Hot Springs Cove and Barkley Sound.

ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome