SailNet Community - View Single Post - NYC Hurricane Evacuation Suggestions
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Ryan,

I wasn't going to answer until I read you last post. Good on you.

You should have good ground tackle you can count on. If so, get the heck away from docks, pilings, and other hard unpleasant things that can poke holes in your boat. If you can find a hurricane mooring (only with a screw anchor, nothing weight based) that's great. Otherwise you get the heck into a sheltered spot and get your tackle down. In your case, up the Hudson as far as you can go is great. A creek is good -- debris may wash down, but if you are in the river the debris from every creek upstream will be on your head.

Strip canvas, yadda, yadda, yadda. You can read the books as well as I can, and as well as all the cut and paste sailors can. As a liveaboard I simply don't have anywhere to put my main or whichever jib is on the furler. I run my spinnaker and spare jib halyards in alternating directions around the furled jib and make sure the furler is locked (check manual - most have a pin or some spiffy rope loop to hold the drum). I run dock lines in alternating directions around the main and it's cover lashed tight. Everything comes off the deck.

I don't think either of us has to worry about Earl, but I'm going to use Earl as a dry run to practice my procedures. I expect to watch lots of movies and eat a lot of food.

Big anchors are good.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook