SailNet Community - View Single Post - NYC Hurricane Evacuation Suggestions
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Ryan,

. In your case, up the Hudson as far as you can go is great. A creek is good -- debris may wash down, but if you are in the river the debris from every creek upstream will be on your head.

I'm repeating myself but do not go into a creek! I saw so many boats large and small get flushed out during Floyd, it was amazing. The Hudson is very wide in spots, in some curvy sections there are what look like backwaters, like the spot I mentioned just north of Catskill. The main river flows to the west of you. If you look at a chart you'll see what I mean. The channel is to the west and north of the anchorage are flats where it is very shallow, forming a break. Good protection. There are a few spots like that in the Hudson. While I was anchored during Floyd two large (100 ft. plus) crewed sailboats from Connecticut came up the river and anchored just south of me. You're north of the main flow from Catskill creek so the current isn't as bad. The hills around that area of the Hudson are a real big catch basin and the flow out of the narrow creeks is quite daunting. And it rained during Floyd! I would not like to be in one of those creeks when the boats start flowing past. And I'm not talking just one or two, I counted over forty boats on the banks on my way south and I'm sure I didn't get them all. By the way, there was no northerly current for a day or two after Floyd. Quite a ride down the river.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook