SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

A Different Kind of Dog Question

944 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
Last week, one of my golden retrievers had her leg amputated to deal with cancer on her knee. She is young, agile, and adapting quite well to life on three paws. My question is whether she had her sea leg amputated. Has anyone sailed with a tripawd dog?

#2 ·
One of my friends has a three-legged dog that crews with her quite a bit. Doesn't seem to have slowed the puppy down at all. A key thing will be keeping the dog slim... an overweight three-legged dog is a miserable thing. IMHO, amputating a rear leg would be less important than a front leg, since the bulk of the dog's weight is in the chest and head. Charlie, the three-legged pup, is missing his rear left leg.

#3 ·
My Lili had her right rear leg amputated. She is years old and is trim and agile. She is adapting quite well. I've always managed to keep my dogs within 5 or so pounds of their ideal weight, even as they age. It is encouraging to hear that she will likely once again grace the decks.

#4 ·
Look forward to seeing photos of Lili at sea in the future. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.