I replaced the cutlass bearing on our PSC 31 yesterday, and am surprised how fast the job went. There is about an inch of bearing protruding from the shaft log. I first sprayed penetrant into the setscrew holes and let it sit a while, then I used a pair of vice grips on the bearing and started rotating it. More penetrant and more rotating for about 1/2 hour, until it moved smoothly. Then I cut a notch big enough to receive a large screwdriver into the bearing. After a little prying against a metal shim to protect the skeg, it started coming out. More shims, and a couple more notches later, it was out.
The whole process, including removing prop, cutter, zincs and bearing and reassembly only took about 2 hours and 3 beers.
The shaft aligned perfectly, which was an added bonus (reason for beer #4).
Having said that, it will propably take me about 2 days next time.
PSC 31 #83