SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rudder Failure Waiting to happen.
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 09-02-2010 Thread Starter
Rudder Failure Waiting to happen.

My rudder had a crack in the leading edge. The rudder was also somewhat loose on the shaft. There was also an attempt repair by a previous owner what needed attention.

It appeared that a previous owner had used a hole saw to drill (5) 1.5" holes into one side of the rudder. They then filled these holes with thickened epoxy with not quite enough hardener, so they were a little soft. I am not sure what they were going for here. I drilled these out using a forstner bit. I drilled to the half way point where I hit metal. My thinking was that I could remove the old repair and then set out on my own attempt to close the crack and finish the repair. I dug out all the material in the crack and filled it with epoxy and then thickened epoxy. I then clamped it shut and left it over night. My plan was to add glass over the crack for strength. The next day I removed the clamps and all was well. But not for long. I came back a few hours later and the crack had opened back up. I guess I waited to long to add the glass. By this time I was pretty disappointed with myself and decided it was going to need a more aggressive repair.

My next attempt was to remove this section of the rudder and clean it and re-bond it. So using a skill saw I made a straight cut tot he depth of the inner plate. The top portion of the rudder lifted off. I started to clean the metal off and look for something to use as a core material. but That is when I discovered the crack where the plate attached to the post. The crack is the complete length of the weld.

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome