SailNet Community - View Single Post - August In the Abacos
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010

skipgundlach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trisstan87 View Post
Wow.. I started reading this and I am glad I decided to scroll down to see how much more screen the post occupied. This is perhaps the longest post I have ever seen on a message board.
I will comment that the Abaco's are undesirable from August-Late September as the trade winds move and the constant breeze becomes come and go. This leads to MUCH more mosquitos and sand flies so one would really want a can of insect repellant if they were there. It also makes the Abaco's more uncomfortable heat wise.
Fortunately, as observed, we have not been troubled by either. Perhaps it's where we are. A fellow poster on rec.boats.cruising warned us of insufferable heat and biters, but we've not had that experience, or, if we have, it's been manageable without sprays or constant immersion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisstan87 View Post
I agree with you a lot on the lethargy most people have in living their lives around other people, whether they be on t.v., in magazines, or on face book. I also read The Secret and the first half was very inspiring and motivating. However, I feel compelled to point out that the attitude of bankruptcy and foreclosures being an adventure is not a productive attitude. Those are not good things, for you or the people who end up taking the slack somewhere down the line.
It wasn't that I DESIRED those events, nor sought the adventure therein. It's that I survived them, and can talk about them later without self-destruction. In part, it was my attitude which allowed that survival. Just like in our wreck (I've not been on this board since the beginning, so most of you may have no idea what I'm talking about, but if you go to my yahoogroups log in the sig line, and start at the beginning, you'll have some clue), where, nearly universally, other cruisers have expressed astonishment that we just dug in, made our boat whole again, and set out doing it for the rest of our lives after that brief introduction to the cruising life, our attitude made the difference. We could have lain down and cried, and left our home on the hard with all the delamination making her ugly, along with all the bulkhead tabbing having popped loose making her unsound, hoping someone else would snap her up at a fraction of what we'd paid, let alone invested in her during our three year refit, and try to figure out what to do and where to live on the little which remained in our wallets.

As to the downstream effects of foreclosure and bankruptcy, it was total - chapter 7 - so I lost it all. The bank was made whole in its sale of the house, which was gratefully snapped up at a bargain due to the roughly 50% equity-to-appraisal loss I suffered. This was 17 years ago, so the plentitude of bargains didn't exist as it does now, nor did it have serious consequences (other than my loss, which was significant) to the economy or others in general. That the family which bought it has made it their home(s - the downstairs, which I built into a fully separate living space, is now occupied by their grown daugther), which they love, is the gift in that problem :**))

L8R

Skip, digging it in the Bahamas where we didn't get anything more than a bit more breeze from Earl
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook