SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 31
Thread: Cal 31
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010

Csobanc is on a distinguished road
I read through the Cal 31 publications at Rich Anderson's web site, including P.S. review of the Cal 31. I have a few questions to you Cal 31 owners.

1, Since these boats are from the late 70s early 80s, (good old boat vintage era) have you had any major structural issues with these boats like fiber glass cracking in the bilge area, etc.
2, Water intrusion into the cabin top or deck plywood core? Have you needed to replace any wood cores due to rotting?
3, Standing riging: P.S.'s review also mentiones that some of the standing riging chainplates should be beefier than what they are... some of them do not have s/s or aluminum backing plates, etc. Have you needed to beef up the standing rigging supports?
4, Any beer canning effect at heavy(er) seas? Some say the built is comparable to Pearson, is the fiberglass about the same thickness?

I am interested in aquiring my first boat and would like to buy something that has performance, classic styling and also would be a safe boat for the family. My budget is fairly limited too and would not want to spend more than 5%-10% of the purchase price on repairs or upgrades per year.
Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook