SailNet Community - View Single Post - Info on Digicel or Lime GSM SIM for Mobile Calling in Windwards
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010

donahuj is on a distinguished road
Smile Info on Digicel or Lime GSM SIM for Mobile Calling in Windwards

Hello fellow sailors. Has anyone had experience using an unlocked GSM phone with either a Digicel or Lime SIM card in St Lucia and also St Vincent & The Grenadines? I'm going to be cruising St Lucia and SVG and am trying to figure out the best thing to do:

1) Should I buy the SIM card online from mrsimcard.com or wait to pick it up in St Lucia? Doyle's guide mentions that the cards can be purchased for about $10 but they start at $30 on mrsimcard.
2) Do either Digicel or Lime offer free roaming for outbound calls to the US as you go from St Lucia to St Vincent & the Grenadines, or will I need to purchase multiple SIM cards? Lime says it has a "roam free" program, but I've read that the roaming is free only for inbound calls, not outbound. I'm ideally looking for one SIM card with just a St Lucia or St Vincent number that I can then use in both countries.
3) Have any of you had experience unlocking your blackberries? I see that it's possible to buy an unlock code on eBay for about $1 and I want to get my normal email over my blackberry via my AT&T (roaming) service, which I believe roams to Lime, in the Caribbean. I would like to interchange my normal SIM card (for receiving emails) with a Digicel or Lime card (for receiving and making calls). Has anyone tried this?

Thanks for any info on experiences you have regarding calling via mobiles out of the Windwards using prepaid SIM cards.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook