SailNet Community - View Single Post - Challenging ASA ratings?
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 09-04-2010 Thread Starter
jephotog

Thanks for the info guys,

FYI, you are able to challenge ASA ratings, not all schools will let you, but I found one that will let you challenge all of them. I will have to pass all portions of the written and sailing skills.

I just want to make sure I am properly prepared for the knowledge portion of the tests. I have sailed boats this big 20 years ago as the captain with a boat full of non sailors. Its kind of scary looking back on it.

From 2000-2005 I lived on the coast and sailed as many as 100 days in one year, either racing (sometimes as navigator) or on my own 22' keel boat, which I could sail in and out of the slip solo. I am a much better sailor now then I was way back then but also some portions of my sailing knowledge and skill has eroded. A racer and day sailor does not make a good cruising sailor. I remember during a race on a boat filled with what I thought were good sailors, when our sail tore during a gale and we had to enter a harbor, I was the only one who knew "red right returning".

I agree some of these ratings are gimmes, especially if you take an expensive course and then take a year off and then charter a boat. I am using these ASA ratings as a way to force myself to study and re-learn what I used to know, brush up on my skills and get the ratings that will allow me to charter a boat. I imagine I can challenge and pass the first rating or two without any problem. The skill set of the ASA 104, I may need to rent a boat and captain for an hour or more to refresh my close quarter maneuvering skills in a larger boat.

ASA 105 is still up in the air though, if I have time to prepare for it. I am under the impression this is one of the harder ones. So I gather the answers are cumulative or at least the errors can be. What is the hardest concept you are asked to answer on the 105 test?

I am doing this later this month, I will let you know how it goes.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome