SailNet Community - View Single Post - Med or Caribbean for 1st longterm cruising
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010
Geekaholics Anadromous

catamariner is on a distinguished road
Hi there, Victor!

So far you have some GREAT advice from both posters!

We are also in the Pacific NW (near Seattle). We just bought a bluewater boat that sat for more than a year without selling in Florida because the asking price was quite high for the year/make. We offered what we thought was reasonable and they accepted without a counteroffer. So I agree with Killarney Sailor, this is a good time to buy in the US. We're not out of the financial woods down here yet.

We are moving down to Florida to work on the boat at the end of this month, expect that to take at least six weeks, and then we'll probably spend a lot of time in the Bahamas. There were so many wonderful places the last time we went (in the early 90s), and some we wanted to explore but did not have time for. Our son is in the age range you specified, and this seems like the right time in his life to do this, also. It's something that should be a gift for his whole life; I know how strongly cruising the Caribbean affected the two of us the first time we did it (enough that we were determined to share it with him when he was old enough). And everywhere we went, especially cruising centers like Georgetown (not actually Caribbean, that :-), there were kids zipping around in dinghies and having volleyball games and visiting with each other. Take years, don't be rushed, and we will be looking forward to reading your adventures!