SailNet Community - View Single Post - Delmarva Circumnavigation - Trip Report
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Great story. Ever think of staying at Utsch's in Cape May?. That where we usually go. NOt sure if they will dock at cat though. I have known the owebers for 30 years. Walkking distance to town and of course manyrestaurants. A lot cheaper than SH at $2 a foot.

Time to replace all you fans it looks like you have a demon in them.

Dave
Utsch's would be a bit cheaper and many folks like them. However, I have some reasons;

* The first time I asked for a slip it was breezy (10-15kn) and they said they didn't like cats on breezy days... I spite of the fact that I had called ahead for a slip. With twin engines, I can dock very well, thank you.
* They can take cats to 16' beam. Friends of mine stayed there this summer with a 32x16 cat.
* My wife has arthritic knees (one replaced) and we like floating docks better.
* South Jersey has laundry on-site, but Utsch's has a better marine store. Of course, there are few sailboat parts in Cape May anywhere, including West Marine.
* South Jersey is a bit closer to the eateries and shops and you can park closer to the boat.
* We have fun watching the megayachts at South Jersey. Lap dogs. Big crews. They will coil your dock lines if they don't feel you left them neat enough!
* Utsch's insists that transients pull in vs back in, which makes boarding more difficult for my wife.
* South Jersey will fuel me at the slip - one less thing.
* Fresh fruit and a newspaper on the doorstep every morning.
* Nice showers.
* Dock hands everytime you ask, within moments. I came in with an injured back, and they handled all of the tie-up for me. That was worth something.

The price difference wasn't so much, as UTsch's wanted to charge me a "cat premium". I understand they no longer do that.

To say town is within walking distance of the marina's is technically correct - you can walk far - but it is a mile, I think, and certainly many miles of walking would be required to see the beaches, the lighthouse, the parks, and the historic parts. By all mean, I would encourage every visitor to rent a bike in order to get a full picture of this town. Many sailors are disappointed, as they expected something more but only saw the marina district.

But Utsch's is good and many speak highly of them. I only wanted to list a few reasons why the Hilton is different from the Hampton. Generally, I stay at the cheaper, but not always.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pdqaltair; 09-06-2010 at 09:14 AM. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook