Originally Posted by chef2sail
Great story. Ever think of staying at Utsch's in Cape May?. That where we usually go. NOt sure if they will dock at cat though. I have known the owebers for 30 years. Walkking distance to town and of course manyrestaurants. A lot cheaper than SH at $2 a foot.
Time to replace all you fans it looks like you have a demon in them.
Utsch's would be a bit cheaper and many folks like them. However, I have some reasons;
* The first time I asked for a slip it was breezy (10-15kn) and they said they didn't like cats on breezy days... I spite of the fact that I had called ahead for a slip. With twin engines, I can dock very well, thank you.
* They can take cats to 16' beam. Friends of mine stayed there this summer with a 32x16 cat.
* My wife has arthritic knees (one replaced) and we like floating docks better.
* South Jersey has laundry on-site, but Utsch's has a better marine store. Of course, there are few sailboat parts in Cape May anywhere, including West Marine.
* South Jersey is a bit closer to the eateries and shops and you can park closer to the boat.
* We have fun watching the megayachts at South Jersey. Lap dogs. Big crews. They will coil your dock lines if they don't feel you left them neat enough!
* Utsch's insists that transients pull in vs back in, which makes boarding more difficult for my wife.
* South Jersey will fuel me at the slip - one less thing.
* Fresh fruit and a newspaper on the doorstep every morning.
* Nice showers.
* Dock hands everytime you ask, within moments. I came in with an injured back, and they handled all of the tie-up for me. That was worth something.
The price difference wasn't so much, as UTsch's wanted to charge me a "cat premium". I understand they no longer do that.
To say town is within walking distance of the marina's is technically correct - you can walk far - but it is a mile, I think, and certainly many miles of walking would be required to see the beaches, the lighthouse, the parks, and the historic parts. By all mean, I would encourage every visitor to rent a bike in order to get a full picture of this town. Many sailors are disappointed, as they expected something more but only saw the marina district.
But Utsch's is good and many speak highly of them. I only wanted to list a few reasons why the Hilton is different from the Hampton. Generally, I stay at the cheaper, but not always.