SailNet Community - View Single Post - Delmarva Circumnavigation - Trip Report
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
PDQ,

Are we talking about the same Utschs. I am sorry you had such a trying experience there. Maybe they place you in a different area because of your cat. I have stayed there every year for the last 15. All transients are usually along the bulkhead on thge port side when you come in on floating docks with the parking lot right next to them. They do require you to pull in bow first. In the last two years they have built a really nice on site laundramat, and 10 new indivigual bathrooms with showers. Since they are on the Cape May side of the canal they are way closer to the 5 star restaurants within Cape May, and the Cape May trolley to downtown stops at the marina entrance every hour. There are 2 great breakfast restaurants within 2 blocks and 5 family ones including the tourist trap Lobster House ( they have a great takeout restaurant though). In addition the Lobster House Fresh Fish market has everything caught by the headboats docked right next door so you can buy fresh tuna, black bass, lobster, scallops.

I know Saildog has had an unpleasent experience at Utschs as I have at South Jersey where we were bullied by some sport fishmans large Viking who was ordering aorund the dock attendants who remarked that sailboats were slow of mind and deserved to wait for the people who spent "real" money there.

Since I stay on my boat when in a marina and usually bring my own fruit, and wine (Utschs gives you a basket when you arrive with a local wine (swill) bottle in it.) What truly makes the differnece to me is that Utschs has been owned by the same family for over 25 years. I lived in Ocean City, NJ for 20 years before moving to Maryland and while living there1 met their mom, and the Utsch "boys" and women still all work at the marina. They are very big contributers to community in general and cater to the small boater vrs the mega yacht fishermen and big corporations. While you will get exemplerary accomadations at South Jersey like the Hilton I like the feel of the local flavor I get at a bed and breakfast like Utschs. for 1/2 the cost.

Same reqason they have the Farlet State Marina in Atlantic City at $5 a foot and Kammermans across Clam Creek.

Hope you back feels better. Mine goes out for the damdest thing usually like picking up a fallen bolt or washer, I know how debiliatating that can be. I always travek with my friend flexoril now.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook